Friday, June 26

who's bad

in 1987 michael jackson released a cd that would define the last three years of my primary school career. it was bad. in both cases. but in the case of school, like bad-ASS bad. we were so cool.

just to refresh your memory in case you forgot...
bad by michael jackson (abbr.)

Your butt is mine
Gonna tell you right
Just show your face
In broad daylight
I'm telling you
On how I feel
Gonna hurt your mind
Don't shoot to kill
Come on,
BRIDGE
Well they say the sky's the limit
And to me that's really true
But my friend you have seen nothin'
Just wait 'till I get through

CHORUS
Because I'm bad, I'm bad - come on
(Bad bad - really, really bad)
You know I'm bad, I'm bad - you know it
(Bad bad - really, really bad)
and then the video just to be sure you got it.

badASS, muthafucka. we were 11 and totally coming into our own. skinny jacqui had a hellish crush on jacko. which was a big deal seeing as we were in pre-1994 SA and he was Not A White Man. though she was always a little preemptive.

Anyway.

While she was filling flip files with his pictures i was just listening to Bad over and over again. i was filling folders with pics of johnny depp. 21 jump street was on and i was positively blown away by his coolness. the force of it was practically unbearable.

fuck you betty sue. oh wait. that's his mum.

but anyway. back to jacko. so all the news of his death today made me revisit my first true obsession with an album.

by far my most rocking songs on that album were, the way you make(a) me feel, man in the mirror (shit it was deep. i think i really started understanding life then, you know...[check tutu rock out in the audience]) and then, of course, i just can't stop loving you.

damn. they're still cool.

of course, he was a very talented musician with a very fucked up life and, i'm convinced, a deep desire to be a woman. the jokes that have gone out have been awful. but nevertheless, here is the funniest one (and i only post this as a result of my deep dislike for david caruso).


sorry MJ - it's more to rip off the caruso kid than you.

anyway, you weird little man. RIP and all that. hope you come out normal in your next life.

3 comments:

beaverboosh said...

touching and quite poignant tribute. michael - bad, johnny - cool

Joe Social said...

aaah fantastic write up here, i can almost relate, except of course for being a male.... but you get the idea, similar time frames and all of that. Man in the mirror should be a mantra for future generations.

sparky said...

I never got the whole Michael Jackson thing. to me he always seemed to be a paler insipid version of James Brown (minus the funky music, and spousal abuse).

meh, let him die in peace, i say