I spent the better half of Saturday afternoon on the floor of my bedroom. I’d created a makeshift studio of bedspread and mirrors for a little project I’d been challenged to take on by one of my readers:
Hey dorothy, thought you might like this site: http://gonewild.reddit.com. Take a look, maybe take part. I'm on there...
sadly no comments to laugh by in this column - unless you consider anne S, some weird little poopl that rants and raves and gives her/himself an ulcer on every 24 column.
where i did find a disturbing comment was on sam's column regarding abuse against women and children, 16 days of activism and what men are doing to start the discussion among themselves.
as usual there was the regular BS where readers aren't actually READING as much as they are picking up key words and personalising the issue beyond measure...
the point of concern was THIS comment (there might've been others but i gave up following the convo).
Dear stupid person no.56 700 000
If woman A is pro porn, pro exhibitionism, pro BDSM, pro prostitution and just generally pro sex in general it does not mean she is pro violence. It does not mean she is open to being emotionally abused, beaten, raped or murdered.
But a more interesting fact for you might be that there is no precedent or reason needed for an abuser to abuse or violate. In this case, the woman doesn't have to 'wear a short skirt' or 'act like a slut'. The child doesn't have to be naughty or 'suggestive'.
Victims or survivors are not asking for it. Abusers just like to dish it out anyway.
fuck man. oao plums. this shit pisses me off.
this is from rageagainstthemanchine (thanks lili):
Sexual Assault Prevention Tips Guaranteed to Work!
1. Don’t put drugs in people’s drinks in order to control their behavior.
2. When you see someone walking by themselves, leave them alone!
3. If you pull over to help someone with car problems, remember not to assault them!
4. NEVER open an unlocked door or window uninvited.
5. If you are in an elevator and someone else gets in, DON’T ASSAULT THEM!
6. Remember, people go to laundry to do their laundry, do not attempt to molest someone who is alone in a laundry room.
7. USE THE BUDDY SYSTEM! If you are not able to stop yourself from assaulting people, ask a friend to stay with you while you are in public.
8. Always be honest with people! Don’t pretend to be a caring friend in order to gain the trust of someone you want to assault. Consider telling them you plan to assault them. If you don’t communicate your intentions, the other person may take that as a sign that you do not plan to rape them.
9. Don’t forget: you can’t have sex with someone unless they are awake!
10. Carry a whistle! If you are worried you might assault someone “on accident” you can hand it to the person you are with, so they can blow it if you do.
And, ALWAYS REMEMBER: if you didn’t ask permission and then respect the answer the first time, you are commiting a crime — no matter how “into it” others appear to be.